SEA Community Engagement Services (SEA Extension) provides knowledge and connections for people to achieve capacity and career development in their local community, as we understand that strong rural communities are vital to economic growth. SEA Extension also directly impacts businesses and communities, helping citizens become more skilled and committed to making Nigeria and the Africa a better place in which to live and work.
Our primary objective is to achieve sustainable partnership with the government, educational institution and private organizations in employment creation, community development and poverty alleviation. The SEA through the extension services can now respond more adequately to the training needs of the communities and local government.
It is envisioned that the people of the local community, which is the main focus of the SEA Extension, can be uplifted from helplessness to self reliance, from ignorance to increased awareness, from indifference to positive involvement, and from aimlessness to commitment. This Services will address the world of escalating change that most of our local and regional communities face stagnation or decline with youth unemployment and rural disadvantage being our greatest unmet challenges.
The SEA Extension Services will focus on young people and adults and regional leaders from the business sector, community groups and local government sectors across each six geo – political zones in Nigeria. It will address the world of escalating change that most of our local and regional communities face stagnation or decline with youth unemployment and rural disadvantage being our greatest unmet challenges.
The leanings and evaluation from this project will then be applied to the establishment of an ongoing, larger-scale SEA Extension Hub to scale the services beyond the pilot locations.
SEA Extension Objectives
- To improve the quality of life at the grassroots level
- To enhance the delivery of extension services to target clientele
- To produce functionally literate, useful, self reliant and innovative citizens imbued with the values necessary to become effective members of a social change
- To create an environment that fosters dynamic involvement of the SEA, government and non government organizations, and industrial establishments in developing the depressed communities
STATEMENT OF NEED
Out migration of young talent to the major cities is endemic, and whilst most rural young desire a return to start their own families, a lack of career opportunities makes it near impossible. Research has shown that youth are brimming with innovative ideas to tackle the complex challenges that confront today’s society.
There are no organisations specifically dedicated to supporting entrepreneurship in rural communities.
POTENTIAL TO SCALE
- Evidence based and accredited services
- SEA and its services have been independently evaluated
- Local tutors trained to deliver programs meaning communities can build on their existing strengths and capacity
- Can be tailored to our local context in terms of culture, style and content
- Provides a vehicle for greater community and business engagement